Monday, September 25, 2006
The New Brands & Strategies: Multiple Sclerosis Report Reveals Critical Commercial Analysis at the Market, Company,
and Brand Level
WALTHAM, Mass. and TORONTO, September 25, 2006 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources and Millennium Research Group find that Biogen Idec must carefully position its two multiple sclerosis drugs, Avonex and Tysabri, to maximize the patient share of both drugs. According to the new report entitled Brands & Strategies: Multiple Sclerosis, Tysabri is expected to be used almost exclusively as a second-line or later treatment option due to its new labeling, which recommends the drug only for patients who have failed to respond to at least one other multiple sclerosis therapy. In order to maximize the sales potential of Tysabri, it will be important for Biogen Idec to position the drug as the first alternative should a patient fail to respond to their initial multiple sclerosis treatment. This would allow Biogen Idec to start patients on Tysabri much sooner than if those patients were to first try switching between various interferon-beta brands and Teva Pharmaceuticals' Copaxone before considering Tysabri.
"Biogen Idec will continue positioning Avonex as the first choice for multiple sclerosis therapy and make Tysabri the first alternative, rather than a high-dose interferon or Teva's Copaxone, should patients fail while taking Avonex," said Craig Speziali, analyst at Millennium Research Group. "This strategy should be effective in maximizing revenues from Biogen Idec's entire multiple sclerosis franchise while potentially capturing patient share away from competitors."
The new report is the first in a series from Decision Resources and Millennium Research Group that reveals critical commercial and competitive analysis at the market, brand, and company level. It is the first initiative between the two companies since Decision Resources bought Millennium Research Group in February of 2006. Brands & Strategies: Multiple Sclerosis covers:
* How leading competitors have positioned their brands for success
* Which multiple sclerosis drugs will continue to succeed in the market
* The launch and level of uptake of biosimilar interferon-beta in the
major markets and which branded drugs will be most affected
* Tysabri's impact on the market and the effect safety concerns have on
its commercial success
* New drugs entering the market between 2005 and 2010 and products being
developed in the major multiple sclerosis competitors' pipelines
About Brands & Strategies
Brands & Strategies is the first and only report series to bring together all the competitive information elements biopharmaceutical companies need to make informed decisions about their own products and next-steps. Each report includes:
* Brand-specific, event-driven, five-year annualized market forecast
* Country-specific market share projections by brand and impacts of future events
* Drug class sales by country
* Brand sales by region
* Projected price for all drugs for five years
* Generic pricing impact on all drugs
* Prevalence and diagnosis rates by country
* Promotional spend for each product
* Pipeline analysis by company within a specific disease
* SWOT analysis on each brand
* Clinical trial reviews and clinical trial competitive analysis
* Detailed brand strategy and how it relates to clinical trial results
* Impact of Medicare
* Selling strategies based on clinical trials
About Millennium Research Group
Millennium Research Group (http://www.MRG.net) is a leading provider of strategic information to the healthcare sector. Focused on the medical device, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology industries, the Company provides its clients with the benefits of its specialized industry expertise through published reports and customized consulting services.
About Decision Resources
Decision Resources, Inc., (http://www.DecisionResources.com) is a world leader in healthcare market research publications, advisory services, and consulting designed to help clients shape strategy, allocate resources, and master their chosen markets.
All company, brand, or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources, Inc.
CONTACT: Elizabeth Marshall of Decision Resources, Inc., +1-781-296-2563, firstname.lastname@example.org
Web site: http://www.decisionresources.com//
Terms and conditions of use apply
Copyright © 2006 PR Newswire Association LLC. All rights reserved.
A United Business Media Company